Thursday, July 16, 2009

an oldie but a goodie

This one goes back to last semester (April 8th to be exact), highlighting the most interesting thing to happen to me all semester in the hospital. I still want to be a nurse after all this shit...

Last week was my first full week of clinicals and I was dreading it/looking forward to getting it over with. So, Monday I picked up patient assignment at the hospital. I was a little less than thrilled to see that my patient was 87 y/o suffering from dementia and had just broken her hip, but I was optimistic that something good would happen.

After looking at her chart, I went in to interview her about her health history. Right from jump I should've known that things were going to be interesting. The woman couldn't keep her eyes open for more than 10 seconds, so I asked her husband some of the questions, but the poor man didn't seem to be any better off than she was. I left the hospital with a copy of her rounds report and her meds (HOLY MORPHINE I want some).

That night I went thru her stuff trying to fill in the holes on her history, with no luck. I was pressed for time so I hadn't had time to talk to her nurse to try to get info from her, so I went to the hospital the next day optimistic that things couldn't be as bad as they seemed.

When I got to the unit on Tuesday I talked to her nurse, who really needs to find another unit if not another career. Apparently that morning Mrs. G had tried to get out of bed and almost ripped her IV out. Great, I thought, what happened to my calm little old lady from the day before. Can we get her some more morphine, stat???

I went in her room to re-introduce myself and start trying to do what I could for her. She immediately starts flipping out, screaming that she's wet and that her husband is making her nervous. I get all the stuff I need to change her and the bed (did I mention I was going to school to learn how to change diapers?) and I have the bed and her changed when she starts flipping out again. The PCT (patient care tech who is a PAID diaper changer, who is also really awesome) says that she doesn't need the diaper secured, but the woman has reached DEFCON 5 about having it taped shut. So, to calm her down, we taped her up.

An executive decision was made to move Mrs. G to another side of the unit because she screamed all night the night before. I really didn't see how it was going to make a difference where she was because she was gonna scream no matter where she was. I made the trip with her and went back to her old room to make sure nothing was left behind. When I went back to her room, typical of advanced dementia patients, she started talking about any and everything. I stood there for a moment, waiting to pick something out of what she said to give me an excuse to leave the room. Well, that moment came and as I was going to leave, her husband reached out to me and said "I don't know what she's talking about, but thank you."

At this point, it's important to note, that everyone on that unit had some pretty understandable feelings about this woman and they started to rub off. No one wanted to deal with her and I felt completely helpless and aggravated that I was not getting any experience with her.

I had only been with her for a short while when her husband said he was leaving at 6 o'clock and he was dead serious. When 6 came, he was wheeling himself down the hall. I almost asked if I could go with him.

It was a little before 7pm shift change and I was waiting for the rest of my group to go to eat, when I looked down one of the hallways out one of the windows. Outside the night sky was so dark and clear and peaceful looking that for a brief moment I thought about running down the hall and jumping out the window. However, with my luck I'd have only broken my arm jumping out of a 9th floor window and then the thought of ruining someone's night with paperwork was enough for me not to do it.

After eating, we went back to the unit to take 8pm vitals. The minute I go back in her room, she's got her gown up to her neck and the blankets are next to her. "The girls are out!" She's pointing to and touching her old lady vagina that's on display for everyone. Then, she touches me. I get a diaper to put on her because I don't really need her anymore hysterical than she already is. In the midst of turning her to get her diaper on, she grabbed my tit and asked me what it was. I immediately grabbed my ID and told her it was my ID. That woman touched me in more ways than she'll truly ever know... I go to take her blood pressure, but she's refusing, saying we can get it in the morning. I go to take the blood pressure cuff off of her and she starts playing tug-of-war with it. In the end, I WON!!!!

My instructor opted for me NOT to give the 9 o'clock meds because "we'd be here until 10:30 trying to get her to take them." I left the hospital in serious need of a drink and definitely not wanting to go back. The next day when I got to the unit I was almost in tears because I couldn't do it all again and wasn't learning anything. Having the most awesome clinical instructor in the world, I got a new patient who was a hell of a lot younger and made me feel like I wanted to stay and not jump out the window. When I was saying goodbye to my new patient on Wednesday night, she paid me the ultimate compliment. She told my instructor that "she's going to make a great nurse." If being a great nurse means having your boob grabbed by an 87 y/o woman, then I will be an awesome nurse!



No comments:

Post a Comment